Monday, April 20, 2009

Always frequent your happy place


One of my favorite card stores in the world is in the Shadyside neighborhood of Pittsburgh: Kards Unlimited. I got to go there this weekend while visiting my alma mater for a few days of nerdy bacchanalia (but that is another story for another social media medium.)

If you are like me and live in a greeting card wasteland populated only by a (crappy) American Greetings store in the mall, a single aisle at (several thousand) CVS locations and a teeny, tiny Papyrus (full of dull Papyrus cards) -- a store like Kards Unlimited is an oasis. Loads of crowded racks showcasing beautiful (Flying Elephant), pretty (you send me), snarky (uncooked, selfish kitty) and dirty-funny (ripe, mikright) cards of all shapes and sizes. I'm not even going to go on about the temporary food tattoos, zombie stuff and funky cookbooks, but I want to. Badly.

If you have one of these independent gems in your neighborhood -- shop there. Kards Unlimited has been around for more than 40 years and was busy on the Saturday afternoon that I stopped in looking for a "recover soon from your stab wounds and remember not to chase your muggers next time" card (I actually found one) -- but it needs two things to thrive: you and me.

No comments: