Thursday, July 27, 2006

PEP Magazine

Hallmark is launching a magazine to further expand its uber-brand. Don't we have enough kitsch on newsstands? Every time I go to Whole Foods there is another "organize your life with Pilates and broccoli (steamed)" publication. What does Hallmark bring to the table? Doesn’t sound like they know yet, exactly, other than they plan to rip off a combination of Real Simple and O.

“Is it going to make an affluent, 30-year-old woman excited to pick up the magazine? That’s what I have to be sold on,” one ad exec says.

Ok, this fantasy reader is me. And I read OK magazine tonight at the gym and washed it down with the New Yorker (an issue from April -- I am way behind). I dont think the Hallmark magazine is really going to grab anyone in that demo -- but I do think PEP could.

Yes, I am conceptualizing a magazine before we launch our first card line.

What would you want to read? Stories about fashion are unlikely as I lean toward blacks and blues and Doreen wears cartoon socks and fantasizes about a starfish tattoo. Art is a given. Food -- highly likely considering we both would rather spend dough on a great meal and wine than nearly anything else in the world. Except books. And travel. And more wine. Hmmm. How did this concept suddenly turn into Gourmet?

Oh, there would have to be a section completely devoted to monkeys. And giraffes. Conde Naste doesn't have anything on that.

1 comment:

Girl with Kaleidoscope Eyes said...

Research. I would want to read about interesting things that people are researching.

Then I would like to read stories about how affluent 30-yr-old women find their lives and their achievements inexplicably unsatisfying and blame themselves for it -- then work harder and become more unhappy and unsatisfied.

Then I would want the magazine to recommend different vacations I could go on to escape the throngs of my unsatisfying existence without spending all the money I am probably saving to buy a house or a BMW.