Saturday, July 15, 2006

Bald guys get jokes

I was first struck by the Bald Guys Greetings' booth because there were just men in it. Men manning their own booth at a stationery show -- not just men hanging out their girlfriends or wives or sisters -- was quite an unique. I also loved the quirky designs they had on their cards, scattered on a table.

Then I picked one up and read it. I laughed so hard and so loud -- people around me were startled. Im used to this, but the creators -- Ian and Sean, only one of whom was actually bald -- seemed so thrilled to have someone laughing so hard and so loudly in their booth (and at their stuff) that they kept giving me more cards to read.

Each one made me giggle more. Eventually, they were one of verge of embarrassment.

"People are going to think that your a plant," they beamed -- and then handed me another one -- "What do you think of this?"

The reason why these cards are so cool, aside from the fact that their partnership is similar to Doreen and myself with a 'designer' type and a 'writer' type -- is that they were dead honest. A card you would write for yourself if you could create the cards that you thought up in your head. And were that damned creative. Which most people just aren't.

Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday ...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These cards are hysterical. My favorite one is the Christmas card. Okay, this isn't fair. It's Ian. I wrote the cards. Jess and Doreen, thanks for writing about us. And I do remember say that people are going to think you are a plant. But I didn't mean someone who we pay to laugh at the cards. If I remember correctly, you resemble a ficus.

Seriously, thank you for mentioning us and please continue to spread the word about Bald Guy Greetings.

Anonymous said...

Okay, one more edition. I realized in my prior comment I wrote the word "say" instead of "saying". For that I apologize. I do know how to spell.

Girl with Kaleidoscope Eyes said...

In an effort to be a member of this "community" (since I'm linking to this site from my blog)

I would like someone to please make a Wedding card with the following message:

___With Deepest Sympathy___
(on Your Wedding Day)

May your new life together bring you the strength you need to survive the haunting truth that you now officially have

A MOTHER-IN-LAW.

Jess said...

OK, there is def. something to be said for that -- as well as a line of follow-up cards where you try to stop the bride from killing members of her new family.

"I can't bring you Bloody Marys in JAIL"

"No Grey's Anatomy on Thursday nights in the SLAMMER"

"$100,000 Carnegie Mellon Education for Murder?" -- maybe that would be my USAT header.