Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Record card celebrates 2 of my favorite things: Athletes & Switzerland

In Switzerland, they love their athletes. I lived there for the summer when I was 14 and when I wasn't clocking boys at the local pool, communing with goats and cows in the backyard and learning how Swiss cheese was made, I often watched village soccer games played in no less than four languages. Soccer was not an option in Sumiswald: you played ... in German, Italian, French, Romansh and sometimes English (mostly for my benefit).

The good luck card celebrating Swiss skiers, jumpers, curlers and hockey players competing in the Winter Olympics in Vancouver has 3,645 signatures and is so big -- 43×64 meters (that's 141 by 210 feet) -- that it had to be hung on the Lac de Creuson dam. So big, in fact, that the Guinness Book of World Records dubbed it the world's largest.

Damnnnn.

1 comment:

Andrew Mooers said...

It was neat to watch the Biathlon competition in Northern Maine venues of Presque Isle and Fort Kent and to hear the many languages.