Saturday, June 13, 2009

New life and real life

I recently found out that one of my best friends is going to have a baby. I already have a lot of friends with wee ones and I love being an auntie. But this particular momma is a card freak too, so she's going to get a lot of mail from me over the next few months. Expecting cards can be heartfelt, beautiful and fun -- and especially fun when the recipient has a good sense of humor. And being able to keep your sense of humor when you're carrying another human around in your belly during a long, hot summer AND can't drink wine -- is critical.

I also this week discovered that a family member and a dear friend's mother are both facing fears connected to cancer -- a disease that already has affected my life many times over -- and the lives of nearly everyone I know. Regardless of diagnosis, it's terrifying to face your body/health's limitations. Without a medical degree, there is little I can do except listen, love and support. Considering that the majority of "get well soon" cards are lame/inappropriate and "thinking of you" cards are too sappy, I mostly go for blanks (kind of a choose-your-own adventure girl). I am also considering customizing some of these amazingly frightening cards from the CDC. If any of you have ever gotten one of these, please let me know so I can beat who sent it to you and then send them one about the "concussion toolkit."

Celebrate the little, the big, the scary and the beautiful things that life hands us. Don't wait for someone to give you a pen and say "write me." You'd want someone to do it for you, right?

No comments: