Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Is it Mother's Day again, already?

Nearly every married woman I know over the age of 27 is either 1) trying to get pregnant, 2) pregnant or 3) just had a baby -- so I can't possibly give them ALL cards this year, as much as I would love to. Instead, I will focus on a card for MY Mom. Lover of the Beatles, walks in the woods, sweets, premium dipping oil and overflowing Christmas stockings. Former competitive skier, bread baker and sometime model. And a great giver of cards herself.

I'll be home for Mother's Day this year. I'm working on a food piece for Maine Food and Lifestyle (my most recent piece was on vodka...) and after a few days of driving around the state eating chowder, blueberry pie, mac-n-cheese with hot dogs and lots of beans, we'll settle in for a nice meal -- and the presentation of many cards.

Some contenders:

-- First there were the music cards (I now own several) -- and now Hallmark has RECORDABLE music cards. Confused? Watch a (really lame) demo online.

-- She does finally check e-mail nearly every day ... so perhaps a little sock puppet opera.

Or .... what else? Is Mother's Day so sacred that there are no fun greeting cards out there?

No comments: