Thursday, June 29, 2006

Thank you

My father always praised me for writing thank you cards. I do love a good one. I think we have hired the past couple of people who have bothered to send one to us after their final interviews. It just makes good sense.

Few people take the time to do this anymore. It's easier to send an e-note or put together a mass mail. A phone call is nice, but an ecru card in the mail says "Wow, I really appreciate the thought you gave to this/gave to me and it made me happy/truly thankful." Even if it's a crappy candle holder. It's the right thing to do.

A recent NPR: All Things Considered piece focused on this topic, and gives etiquette guidelines to potential thank-you card writers. My favorite:
"Don't use lateness in writing as an excuse not to write. If you're still sending thank-you notes after your first wedding anniversary, keep writing."


I well remember the one person who I gave a wedding gift to and who never wrote me a thank you card. She stiffed a few of us, and we were pissed. It was one of the first things I thought about each time I saw her in the years after her wedding. I'll spare you the other thoughts that subsequently entered my mind.

No comments: